Saturday, June 24, 2006

The last 16, and justice done

Hello world.

The group stages of the world cup are over.
Here's some of the matchups we'll see, and of course my picks to go through, but I'm no football expert, just a small time punter :D

Germany vs Sweden
Home advantage, At least a quarterfinal for Germany. So bye Sweden.

Argentina vs Mexico
Argentina is unstoppable now. lol.

England vs Ecuador
Well England will go through this one, I don't see Ecuador overcoming England.

Portugal vs Netherlands
None of them impressed me. But I'm thinking that it'll be an extratime matchup. My pick is Portugal.

Italy vs Australia
Need is I say more? Forza Italia!

Brazil vs Ghana
Might be mission impossible for Ghana.

Switzerland vs Ukraine
The Swiss look more disciplined and tactically sound. Switzerland to go through.

Spain vs France
France don't look convincing enough, but if Zidane doesn't play they might stand a chance. But chances are he'll play, so Spain to go through. (Anyone noticed that Zidane doesn't pass the ball to Henry?)

I'm an asian. I should be supporting asian teams. But this morning, I saw what was justice done.
Yup.
Switzerland vs Korea
Korea were crying foul over the 2nd goal by the Swiss and complaining about the referee's decision.
In singaporean terms, Kelong.
Now they are getting a taste of their own medicine. Just that it came 4 years later.
How can they scream "Kelong!" when they themselves were on the favourable side of the referees 4 years ago.
They were a rough team then.
They played legs instead of the ball.
Yes their determination is commendable.
But they were obviously the favourites of the referees.
Look at Spain and Italy 4 years ago.
Victims.
A kick on Maldini's face which left blood gushing out.
A legit goal by Spain disallowed.
All by the referee's favour.
So don't cry foul you koreans. You're just getting a taste of your own medicine.

Alot of people are saying Argentina will win the World Cup this year. Not that I disagree, but I have my doubts.
True, Argentina are by far the most impressive team in the tournament so far. Excellent teamwork, creative strike force, stable defense.
Yet I don't believe they'll actually win it this year.
NO south american country has ever won the World Cup on european soil. Vice versa.
You might not believe it but its the truth.
Ok except for Brazil in 1958.
But based on the fact Brazil did actually won it before you people might not fully agree with me and think history is some bullshit.
History does play a part.
You think the europeans gonna let a south american country win on european soil?
Come on, caucasians have ego man.
To them, it'll be a humiliation.
Well, its just my views, so don't flame me for the comments.
Lets just watch. :)
My pick for winner?
Of course its Italy.
But not forgetting Spain & Germany will be there in the final 4.
But of course Germany has to win Argentina to actually reach the semis so, we shall see. :)

Was at Zouk last saturday for Above & Beyond's gig. The music was great, the vibe, the drinks and especially, Tom was there.
He has come back for holidays which might probably last a month. Well...
Anyway, I didn't fully enjoy myself that night, probably because I lost money on the Czech-Ghana match that night and seeing Italy draw 1-1 with the damn americans made my mood go down. LOL.
Then again, the music was great but I didn't stay throughout, and left the place at around 4:30am.
Anyway, I've finally planned my time-table for school already. Its not that great actually, because most of the morning classes have been taken up because of "Kiasuism" lol.
I was late to plan actually haha so never mind that.
Its time to find job for now.
Anyone has options for me????????

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home